Capital Appeal 2017
The people of St. Andrew’s have been growing seeds of grace in the name of Christ for
nearly 70 years. Before we begin talking about the goals of our Together With Christ,
We Grow Seeds of Grace Capital Appeal, we want to celebrate and give thanks for all
we accomplished through our previous Church Restoration Appeals, “Rebuilding on a
Foundation of Faith” (2010-2013) and “Imagine the Possibilities” which we have just
Through the generous support of our members and friends and a loan from the Mission
Investment Fund, we have:
• Repaired the upper and lower church roof
• Improved the church lighting & updated the landscaping
• Painted the church interior; replaced the church carpeting; refinished the
church pews; re-upholstered pew cushions, communion rail cushions and altar
• Created a handicap bathroom in the church; refurbished all bathrooms
• Repaired and updated the Parish Hall, including: the front and rear roof;
replaced windows; replaced the heating unit; improved the lighting; created a
• Repaired and resurfaced the parking lot, driveway, and walkways
• Replaced church heating unit and resided church tower
• Replaced church windows under eaves and rebricked chimney
It is quite a list of accomplishments! God enabled us to complete a lot of these projects
during our period of Interim Ministry. Now our young, energetic spiritual leader, Pastor
Justin Kosec, has been with us over a year, and we all have a sense that it is time to
prepare the soil for more growth.
In this new capital appeal, we hope to raise $300,000 over the next three years. • $108,000 will be used to cover the
monthly mortgage payments for the next
• $92,000 will be used to appreciably trim the approximately $300,000 principal
of our current mortgage;
• $75,000 will be used for further improvements to our facilities, such as new
flooring and an updated kitchen in Parish Hall and professionally addressing
some of the older trees on our property to avoid future storm related damage;
• $25,000 will be used as seed money to plant and grow the mission and
ministry of our church.
Over the last two appeals, you have helped us restore the safety of our buildings and
sow the seeds for our church's future. Together, with Christ, we will grow them, and our
harvest will be greater than we can imagine.
Creative Giving Ideas
You might think that the most important part of our Together with Christ, We Grow Seeds of Grace Capital Appeal is
how much money we raise. However, the most significant piece of the capital appeal is your participation. We each
will play a part in supporting this effort in our own way, and full participation is our ultimate goal, in whatever shape it
takes. We ask you to prayerfully consider what St. Andrew’s means to you, and how you can support this three-year
appeal. A few creative ideas for other ways of giving, as you think about your support are listed below.
Giving on a weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly basis by check, credit card or electronic giving is the way most
people contribute to a capital appeal. Some will prefer to give one
large upfront gift.
• Having a Birthday Party, Retirement Party or Anniversary Celebration?
Consider inviting your guests to make a contribution to St. Andrew’s Capital Appeal in
lieu of gifts.
• Consider including St. Andrew’s as a Beneficiary in your Will
• Gifts of assets such as securities, real estate or art, jewelry, cars or boats
• An IRA transfer
• Gifts of Life Insurance or Annuities
Some of the ideas mentioned above may have specific tax advantages. We suggest consulting with a tax advisor to
determine what makes sense in your situation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. WHAT ARE WE PLANNING TO ACCOMPLISH THROUGH THE CAPITAL APPEAL?
We are hoping to raise $300,000 to reduce our existing mortgage; maintain and improve our
facilities; and strengthen and grow our ministries.
2. HOW DOES MY RESPONSE TO THE CAPITAL APPEAL AFFECT MY ANNUAL GIVING TO
THE CHURCH? Your giving to this appeal is a totally new commitment, and is over and
above your annual giving to the church. All the money received through this three-year appeal
will be directly applied to the appeal goals. We trust that you will continue to support the current
ministries and outreach of our congregation by undiminished, ongoing regular giving through
3. WHEN WILL I MAKE MY COMMITMENT? Everyone will have the opportunity to hand in
their confidential commitment form during worship on Commitment Sunday May 22 (Your
commitment form is included in this packet.) If you are not ready to make your response that day
or cannot attend worship on that weekend, you can simply return your confidential commitment
form to the collection plate on another Sunday or deliver or mail it to the church office.
4. HOW MUCH SHOULD I GIVE? This is a personal decision, but here are some guidelines for
❑ Be informed by reading all the literature sent or delivered to you during this appeal.
❑ Study the Guide for Giving provided on your commitment form.
❑ Reflect on the blessings given to you by a generous God and give out of joy and gratitude.
❑ Ask God for direction, pray and meditate, be open to the Spirit.
5. HOW CAN I MAKE MY APPEAL DONATIONS? An appeal envelope will be included in with
your regular offering envelopes in the mail or you may choose to use the online donation page at our
6. HOW LONG WILL MY APPEAL COMMITMENT CONTINUE? The commitment can be
spread over three years and is over and above your regular giving to the congregation.
Your commitment form gives you options on how to configure the timing of your gift since not all
people will want to give in the same way. Some will give one large, up front gift while others will
give so much each week, month, etc.
7. MAY I GIVE STOCKS, REAL ESTATE, INSURANCE, IRA TRANSFERS OR OTHER GIFTS IN
ADDITION TO CASH GIFTING? Absolutely! You are encouraged to think of assets in addition to
cash. For many people this is the best (and smartest) way to give. If you think you would benefit
from more information on this topic, call our Capital Appeal consultant, Pastor Renee LiaBraaten
8. WHAT IF MY FINANCIAL SITUATION CHANGES BEFORE THE END OF THE THREE-YEAR
GIVING PERIOD? At any time during the giving phase, if your financial circumstances change,
your commitment may be changed by notifying the financial secretary.